Instructor: Malia Furtado
Level: Progressing Beginner
Age: Teens & Adults
Price: $212 for 8 weeks
Fall Session I: Wednesdays, 8/12/20 - 9/30/20
12pm – 12:55pm
Classes will be held online via Zoom.
Description: A continuation of Beginner I, this class will introduce students to new bowing patterns techniques such as simple 2 and 3-note slurs and common bowing patterns. We’ll also explore some different types of tunes such as waltzes and will continue to build group playing skills by learning to play long-bow back up and simple chord changes.
Prerequisite: Fiddle – Beginner I or equivalent. Equivalent might include the ability to play a few very simple tunes at a slow but consistent tempo. Feel free to ask for guidance regarding placement before registering.
What Students will Leave this class having learned:
- Tunes: 8th of January, Tombigbee Waltz, and Faded Love (additional material may also be included or used instead)
- Technique: 2 and 3-note slurs, basic bowing patterns such as the “bum-ditty” shuffle and introduction to a slow Nashville Shuffle
- Group playing skills: long bow accompaniment with chord changes
What students will need:
- Functional fiddle, size 4/4
- Fiddles should have: bridge, strings, sound post, all tuners in tact
- Bow (with all the hair)
- Shoulder rest
- Notebook & pencil
- Recording device optional
Next Level: Fiddle – Intermediate I